Monday, August 24, 2009

Projects projects and more projects

You gotta love being a home owner! When we used to live in apartments it was alright because you always had a landlord or manager to take care of problems and any yard maintenance needed for the place. But it wasn't yours and you threw away your money each and every month you paid your rent. Also there was always comments about how you would rather have this here or that there if this was your place, but you just didn't want to spend money towards something you weren't keeping anyways. But when you have your own house there's is no more calling the landlord in the middle of the night when your dishwasher springs a leak or because the grass is getting too long. It's all on you. And if you're someone who hasn't gotten out much or is afraid to pick up a tool because no one ever showed you how to use one then you're stuck looking for help or worse yet paying for someone to do the work for you.

I guess I'm lucky in that way because I get how things work and in most cases if it's not something crazy then I'll go ahead and see if I can do it myself. I'm also really lucky because Kristi isn't afraid either, she's actually more gung ho than I am at a lot of things. She's always telling me that I CAN do something even though I don't think I can do it or if I'm just trying to get out of doing another project lol. But my latest projects that I have done are a set of stairs for my garage that leads to the house and some adjustable shelves. I was really proud with the stairs because it was my second attempt at it, but my first one didn't really count in my mind because it was a temporary one and I just needed a way to get in the house lol. But I finally got around to it and did one. Then I later thought, hmm, maybe I should've gotten a permit for this, but I'll make sure it's done right either way lol. The shelves were a really cool project to me. It introduced me to a new tool, the router. The last time I used one of these was in wood class a long long time ago back in high school..hmm that was back in 1990 when I had that class I believe. You know it's sad when your best friends 14 year old daughter wasn't even born yet when I had that class lol. Man I'm getting old. Anyways, I really hated and enjoyed making these shelves. But I use every bit of space with the setup and it looks so manly even when it's finished because of all the rough edges and unfinished wood. I mean it just belongs in the garage! So here's a few pics of what I have done. Tomorrow I'm going to begin working on the other set of adjustable shelves to finish out what I have done so far. Oh and where the heck is the undo button on this thing? And why do my pics always show up on the top when I do this? This is very editing unfriendly lol















































































































No comments: