My day was going pretty normal today at work. It was a pretty nice warm day for a change too. Snow and ice were melting a little bit. I joked around with the guys here at work. Making jokes about how many problems this rig is having and that we are glad our tools are working fine and there is nobody waiting on us to get things running again. We've been waiting all day for this extra stuff to be installed on the rig. Of course the weather and missing parts become an issue. Needless to say I had some time on my hands to burn. So I do my normal surfing the internet and checking email and chatting with friends and family over the internet. Isn't the internet a wonderful thing? It can connect people so far away in an instant. I don't see how I was able to live my life without it not too long ago. But along with my normal internet sites I look onto, I checked my sister's blog to see what she was up to. That's when I saw it. The name that took me back several years into my past, when I was just a young kid who was just old enough to start being able to get into real trouble. Her name brought back memories of joy and happiness as well as fear and sadness. Gertrude. I think I remember her so much because for a little while we lived under the same roof. I remember that she was into music a lot. She pulled out a vinyl (that's a record, for you young kids) of Guns N' Roses-Appetite for Destruction. I don't think they were that big back then, but I could be wrong. For some reason that memory sticks in my head. There was another memory that I remember clearly. We were experimenting with a Ouija board. I remember that we were calling for the spirit from the glass to come out (we had a glass turned upside down and a candle burning). A few chants later and we heard the loudest slam onto the metal roof that was above us! We all jumped up terrified and put the whole thing away after that! That was the last time I have ever touched one of those again. And of course there were just regular times when we played and just did what any other kids would do. We probably spent the summer together off and on finding other things to get into. It was a fun time. Unfortunately she ended up moving away and since then she has always been on the move, so it seems. Nobody knew where she was or where she has been. Every now and then she would show up and then disappear again. But as for me, I have only seen her one time since that summer. That will be the last time that I will ever see her. She passed away 2 months ago. But I didn't find out until today. She was around my age. Way too young to go. I'll miss you cousin.
Wednesday, January 23, 2008
RIP, Gertrude
My day was going pretty normal today at work. It was a pretty nice warm day for a change too. Snow and ice were melting a little bit. I joked around with the guys here at work. Making jokes about how many problems this rig is having and that we are glad our tools are working fine and there is nobody waiting on us to get things running again. We've been waiting all day for this extra stuff to be installed on the rig. Of course the weather and missing parts become an issue. Needless to say I had some time on my hands to burn. So I do my normal surfing the internet and checking email and chatting with friends and family over the internet. Isn't the internet a wonderful thing? It can connect people so far away in an instant. I don't see how I was able to live my life without it not too long ago. But along with my normal internet sites I look onto, I checked my sister's blog to see what she was up to. That's when I saw it. The name that took me back several years into my past, when I was just a young kid who was just old enough to start being able to get into real trouble. Her name brought back memories of joy and happiness as well as fear and sadness. Gertrude. I think I remember her so much because for a little while we lived under the same roof. I remember that she was into music a lot. She pulled out a vinyl (that's a record, for you young kids) of Guns N' Roses-Appetite for Destruction. I don't think they were that big back then, but I could be wrong. For some reason that memory sticks in my head. There was another memory that I remember clearly. We were experimenting with a Ouija board. I remember that we were calling for the spirit from the glass to come out (we had a glass turned upside down and a candle burning). A few chants later and we heard the loudest slam onto the metal roof that was above us! We all jumped up terrified and put the whole thing away after that! That was the last time I have ever touched one of those again. And of course there were just regular times when we played and just did what any other kids would do. We probably spent the summer together off and on finding other things to get into. It was a fun time. Unfortunately she ended up moving away and since then she has always been on the move, so it seems. Nobody knew where she was or where she has been. Every now and then she would show up and then disappear again. But as for me, I have only seen her one time since that summer. That will be the last time that I will ever see her. She passed away 2 months ago. But I didn't find out until today. She was around my age. Way too young to go. I'll miss you cousin.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Wow, I wish I would of got to know her better. I mean I didn't even know you guys used to live together at one point. Sad. I heard she was living I think in Oakland alone. And that's a pretty funny experience with the Oujia board, I played that in my house with my friends and the spirits really did spell out people's names, pretty cool and freaky. But yeah, may my cousin Ate Gertrude rest in peace. I never even knew ate Nina had a sister.
Post a Comment