Monday, January 21, 2008

Snow day

Well my wife and kids came out here to Price, where I'm working, last night. When she first left, there wasn't that much snow in the forecast. It was shown as going into a different direction. The weather was actually nice all day yesterday and on through the night. Then we were watching the news and they started talking about the big storm is going to hit last night and through out the day today. We look at each other and just think, crap that sucks. We even woke up the next morning and looked outside..sunny skies, a few scattered clouds. Then we pop onto the news channel again and we see nothing but news about closed roads and accidents. You know what I think when I see those accidents on tv? I think about other states, like Texas for example. These other states hardly see cold weather and so when it does hit them most of the drivers don't have a CLUE as to how to drive in winter conditions! It's funny cause I used to live in Texas and Georgia. One winter it got really cold in Georgia. We had some snow out there, nothing near the amount that hit the valley today. Maybe an inch or two. So here I am driving to work in the snow. If anyone's ever been to Atlanta then you would know about the traffic there! A little history on the traffic in Atlanta. Ever since the Olympics came out there several years back, many people loved it so much there that they uprooted themselves and moved in. The city wasn't prepared for such a huge increase in population! So the roads weren't ready for them and that's why there's such terrible traffic there. Anyways, on the interstate I am driving along and then you see people driving soo slow! I mean 20 mph!! On an interstate! Now I understand the whole drive slower in bad weather idea, but come on! You can go a little bit faster than 20 in snow. So here I am, cruising past all these people on the road like a mad man, but I'm only actually going about 60. For 1-2 inches of snow, that's really nothing. Driving in snow isn't rocket science, just know your vehicle and how it feels when you have and don't have traction with the road. Keep your distance of course and judge turns with how you are feeling the road.

So that's what I think about when I see traffic accidents in Utah. We are a state of people that LIVE in snowy wintery conditions every winter. You would think that there would be some knowledge on how to steer your vehicle in this weather. Hmm, Chelsey, got any words to put in here? lol.

Well to make a long story short, my wife and kids made it home safe and sound all the way from Price back to Cache Valley. It did take an extra hour and a half to get there, but she was stuck in a stand still in SLC for almost an hour. That plus all the slow driving going on. Maybe these other drivers that get into accidents and way too slow were transplants from souther states? Who knows.

1 comment:

Brady & Chelsey said...

Hey! Nice! Welcome to the blogger world my friend!! :)